Sunday, April 27, 2014

Wall thickness

I realized that while talking about making pottery I hadn't addressed what type of form to look for when making it.
When you start to throw at first all you want to do in consistently throw a straight cylinder with even wall thickness. The shape all the way to the right has a very even thickness while the the middle one has a more varying thickness. Wall thickness is important because if you make the wall too thin it will tear but too thick and you waste the clay. Once you can throw a good wall thickness every time you can go on to change the shape of the piece into whatever you want.
I'm still in the stages to working on the wall thickness as I still make the wall too thick. In the long run I would like to be able to get to level where I could work on pottery until it is good enough to sell.

3 comments:

  1. I never realized the thickness mattered so much! So you're just working on throwing over and over again solely to learn how to achieve the perfect thickness? That must take a lot of time- props to you for sticking with that and doing that over and over again!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting! I had never even thought about this aspect of pottery before - there's a lot more involved in the process than I realized! Did you make those pieces in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. how much would you be selling for
    your pot thing is a hot hot tater tot

    ReplyDelete